Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Gelatin; thou fusty dismal-dreaming lewdster!



Ok my problem with gelatin, is making me curse it in shakespearean tounge. I have to date only had one successfull run in with the gel'n agent. I have a long list of failed dishes inluding, Panna Cotta, fruit salad, jelly, and a tea based jelly.

Where have I gone wrong that nothing sets? If you have any ideas PLEASE let me know... This is what I have done to create this round of liquid in a vessel.

The Software,
3c of fruit juice
2 sleaves of Knox Gelatin; Infirm of purpose!
2 Kiwi

The Application,
Placed 1 1/2 c of liquid in a bowl and added the gelatin and allowed it to bloom. I heated the other half of the liquid till boiling and added it to the cool and bloomed portion.

I lined 4 containers with thin sliced kiwi and poured the liquid into the containers, and placed into the fridge overnight, in the morning I hoped out of bed and ran to the fridge to find 4 containers of fruit juice with kiwi floating in them.

On a lighter note, if you are a mother you gota check this link

Now Playing: David Bowie-Under Pressure

3 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Fran said…

    Sorry for the frustration. I know sometimes things won't "gel" if it contains certain things like pineapple & it seems maybe kiwi. Hope this helps a bit.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger FoodNinja said…

    Hmmm,,, come to think of it most of my attempts have either pineapple or kiwi, the above has both in it... Thanks Fran

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fran is correct. Pineapple and kiwis both contain an enzyme that denatures the setting agent of the gelatin. There's another fruit that does this as well, but I can't remember at the moment. It's also why both kiwi and pineapple are sometimes used as tenderising marinades for meat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home