Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Tortiere


Look I made minis with the left overs.....




Sooo flakey mmmm

The Tortiere (tort-c-air) is very much a clasic french canadian dish, this recipie comes from my gurls side of the family and she was very leary about letting me publish it, there were some conditions apon publication... This should be know from here on in and any time made as the SOUCEY Family Tortiere.

The Soucey Family Tortiere

The Hardware
Fry pan
Knife
3 9inch pie plates

The Software
1lb ground beef
1lb ground veal
1lb ground pork
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp celery salt
3 bay leaf
1/2 tsp alspice
1 C onion chopped
1 C water
3 C bread crumbs

The Application
Fry meat and onions, then add spices and water simmer for 1 hour,(simmering will cause people living in the house to go madd due to wonderfull smell) Add crumbs and cool, Put meat mixture into three raw pie shells and top with crust. I prefer the full top to lattice top on this one.

Next on the hit list Cabbage rolls.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger sakura56 said…

    Wao! wonderful cooking.
    Are you a teacher of the cooking?

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    Looks great. The crust looks particularly good. Glad to see that you put the leftover to good use.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Dawna said…

    Very nice! I've always thickened my tortiere with mashed potato - I'll have to try the bread-crumb version. I'm surprised not to see nutmeg, though!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Randi said…

    re: your note. Yes, I realized that later. I was trying to put links in my blog and I forgot the 77 after your name.

    I'm glad you started a business. I can send you my menu if you want to check it out. Leave me your email.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Kari said…

    That does look yummy. I may have to try and sneak it into the menu around here.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks Horrid!!!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just kidding!!!

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for posting this recipe as my mother from Montreal Quebec used to make this after Midnight Mass. A lovely Christmas memory. Thanks for sharing. Please ignore my child's rude remark, she is 8 and is now in trouble. Not Kidding!

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My mémere promised me her recipe, which she had refused to give to any of her daughters-in-law, or even her daughter. However, she died before doing so, and took her recipe to the grave. I suspect that she had never written it down. I have my wife's grandmere's recipe, but I am looking around online and trying to find something that sounds familiar. Yours looks lovely. Thank your in-laws for agreeing to share it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home