Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Operation Surprise the Gurl.


Click to enlarge

Hiya...

I didn't pack a lunch for my gurl and rushed her out the door and told her to be at her picnic table out side her office at noon.

So that was at 7:30. I had planned up to that point, I made it a point not to plan a meal I wanted to make this on the fly. I was going to hit local hot spots and get inspired.

First I went to my local butcher
Norman's Meats and looked at what he had to offer, however I was keeping in mind that this was lunch deal, I opted not to go with red meat, it would be kinda heavy.

Next stop was Dino's India Grocery Maybe I could do a Tangri Kabob.. but most everything in the store was frozen, there wasn't much fresh to look through.

Next stop was The
Gimli Fish Market there has been alot of adds on tv for endless shrimp at a big red chain restaurant and it has been driving me mad. We have vowed never to eat at a chain large chain restaurant again due to the trans fats issues that they cause. So as anything else anything they can do I can do... So I got a great deal on shrimp a big bag of 30 for $10 and a few scallops to boot.

Aright so I have my main thing, back in the car I get together the rest of what I am gona bring. I decide one
  • Grilled shrimp and scallop skewers
  • Grilled corn on the cob
  • Rice pilaf

By this time it is 10:30 and that leaves me only 1 1/2 hours before lunch. At home I get some music going and get prepping. I toss together a marinade for the shrimp.

1/2 C of Olive oil

1 Tbsp of oregano

3 Cloves of garlic minced

Juice of 1/2 lemon

To prep the corn I peel back the husks of the corn and remove the silks, replace the husks and place them in an icecream pail and cover with water... from here I will grill them for 20 min turning every 5.

As for the rice I cook as normal and toss it into a tinfoil packet still leaving it a little damp so it can steam on the grill .

I love charcoal, the taste I find is second only to cooking over a fire with hickory wood. I arrive only 45 min till lunch and get the charcoal grill going it takes about 15 min to get up to temp. Then I start grilling the corn and the rest is a wonderful lunch that got stares of envy from the gurls co-workers..... She tells me that there will be alot of uncomfortable husbands tonight as the word gets out of what I did within her work environment.

" I was surprised by how many things other than food are factors in a great meal - you know, company .. what's going on around you... is there sand between your toes... you know, thes are powerful factors" -Anthony Bourdain

4 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Randi said…

    that was sweet!!

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Blogger Cat said…

    so nice of you to surprise your lady that way!

    about your comment to my pizza, i dont make pizza dough from scratch so i buy the single serving pizza bases but if you have a nice (very quick & easy) recipe to share that doesnt include yeast i would love to try it!! usually when it comes to pizza i want it and i want it now -and also end up burning my mouth lol

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ana said…

    That was a feast Templar.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Sounds like a great plan. I'm sure everything was delicious!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home