Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Monday, September 12, 2005

Buttermilk Scones



Wow,, busy weekend, Lots to tell. First off, The F.O.O.D. People called and told me that they are not able to bring me on now as they have hired someone else, however they are starting up a new route in a few weeks and would like to keep me in mind for that. I was totally excited about it, I have no problems waiting I know there is other jobs out there that I can do, however I really would get sense that I am doing something to promote health and community by getting invlolved at this place.

Secondly there is a Menu button on the right of my blog now that I am going to try to follow, once a week I will plan the next weeks meals, in an effort to be more organized. This also will help me with shopping, and food prep.

Oh Yeah scones,,, This is another recipe that I have shamelessly stolen from Nic's Blog she has some of the best recipes. This was so fluffy and moist, I browned them a bit too much but still very yummy

The Hardware
Wisk
Pastry Cutter
Bowl
Baking sheet

The Software
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter, cold and cut into small pieces
5 tbsp buttermilk1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup dried cranberries
Topping
1 tbsp buttermilk
1 tbsp sugar

The Application
Preheat oven to 400F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk to combine. Rub butter into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles very coarse meal.
Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, adding the dried cranberries as the dough starts to come together. The dough should be sticky but not runny.Form dough into a disc 1 inch thick and place on your baking sheet. Cut the dough disk into 4-6 wedges using a knife or a pizza cutter. Brush with 1 tbsp buttermilk and sprinkle liberally with coarse sugar. You may separate the scones or bake them together and break them apart after they're baked.
Bake at 400F for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Makes 4-6 small scones

Once again the recipe is taken directly from Baking Sheet Blog Check it, she does great stuff.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Oh, you're so flattering!
    By the way, how did your girl like the suprise picnic?

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Randi said…

    i copied that recipe to try too. Yours dont look too brown to me, they look great.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    Damn these look good. I went on a scone-recipe-trying-athon over the summer with disastrous results.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home