Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Savoury Corn Bread



If you have noticed most of my pictures are dark,This is mostly due to the fact that I sleep during the day and am up at night, I am the mad Baker what bakes at midnight. If you know the reference I am impressed and I will mail you one Canadian dollar. I work the night shift and I dont switch around for my days off so that means that I am up either cooking or watching competitive cheerleading on tv. Hence I also take my pictures at night too. This is my fave cornbread and the calorie count is huge, but soo tasty.

The Hardware
Fry pan
Wisk
2 bowls
Cast Iron Pan 8-9 inch
(you can sub a cake pan of the same size)

The Software
2/3 cup unsalted butter, divided
1 x leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
2 x eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk (I do the sour milk thing with lemon juice)
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup shredded aged white cheddar

The Application
In a medium saucepan heat 1 tbsp. of the butter over low heat. Add leek, sweet onion, salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently to stop onions from sticking. Cook until leeks and onions are very soft and just starting to turn golden. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place 1 tbsp. of the butter in an 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet and heat in oven.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the cornmeal.

Melt the remaining butter and whisk in another bowl with the eggs and buttermilk.
Pour the wet into the dry ingredients. Sprinkle with cooled leeks and onions, chives, corn and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined and some flour remains visible. Do not over mix.

Swirl hot pan to coat with butter. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean and edges are crispy and golden.
Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

My Gurl and I were for a walk tonight at about 4am I love this time of day the streets are quite the air smells of bread from a local bakery. And Cats are roaming the streets looking for people to pet them... Tonights cat sat on my lap and purred... it then proceeded to follow us for a legg of our walk...

5 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I lived in Atlanta with my then boyfriend/now husband Dave during our externship from culinary school. Over half of the time we were there I worked the night shift at a bakery with one other guy. Our bakery supplied 3 cafes and a restaurant, we moved locations at one point and supplied 3 cafes and 2 restaurants. It was a great job, very fulfilling, and cool because it felt like we were the only people awake in the city.

    Later on, after graduating, Dave and I worked together at a bakery. Not the overnight shift, but usually 2am - 10-11 am.

    Anyway, that cornbread recipe looks good... the pizza dough too!

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    The cornbread looks scrumptious Templar. Definitely worth a try.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Dawna said…

    Looks good! I love cornbread, and am constantly eyeing new variations. This one looks pretty busy - lots of flavours going on - which can be a very good thing. You also get extra points for not using lots of sugar.

    Have you tried using buttermilk powder? I use it my my cornbread (and the mix I make for cornbread) all the time. Just add the powder to the dry ingredients, and then use plain water (or better still, plain milk) for the liquid. Works like a charm.

    Oh yeah - heh - The Tick, right? Bombs away! I am such a geek.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger FoodNinja said…

    Boom Baby Boom

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    The cornbread looks sooo good. I have been looking for a good one. The one I have is only so-so.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home