Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Friday, July 08, 2005

Whole Wheat Bread.



I have my trusty camera back now... Bread, I do not know what it is about making bread that has such a spiritual connection with people. I don't know if it is the kneading of the dough, the same act that you know generations before you have taken comfort in because the recipe has been handed down from when grannie came the the new world. This is the same bread that your family has enjoyed fresh for breakfast even before there was electricity to power an oven. The recipe is first page on in the hand written cook book, but rarely have to look at it anymore.. The recipe has been adjusted some time in the 70's when instant yeast was introduced

Basic Bread.

The Hardware
Large bowl
Baking sheet

The Software
1 C Milk
1/4 C Butter
1/2 C Sugar (white) I sub honey sometimes
1 Tsp salt
2 Eggs beaten
6 C Flour (I use whole wheat AP is great too)
2 Tbsp Yeast
1 C Warm water

The Application
Scald milk and add butter, then water if using honey add here and omit sugar in next line. Cool till luke warm. In a large bowl mix 3 C flour with sugar, salt and yeast. Make a well in flour an add in milk mixture and eggs. Mix well and add 1 more C flour. By now you should be able to turn onto a floured work surface, continue to add flour till just tacky. knead for about 10 min. then cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 1 hour. Or till I walk to and from Tim Hortons with my double double. Punch down and then sharp into two loaves, score the top with a sharp knife and let rest covered for 10-15 min. place a tsp of oil on top and coat loaf using your hands. place on a baking sheet and place in a 325 degree oven for about 35 min. I free form my loaves. I have used a loaf pan, I just prefer the odd shaped sandwich cut from the roundish loaf.

Who can resist the taste and smell of freshly cooked bread?! -Jamie Oliver

4 Comments:

  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    Too bad more people don't make homemade bread anymore. There's nothing quite like the smell... Mmm. Looks very nice.

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    What a beautiful loaf Templar. Almost makes me make bread with my hands instead of the breadmaker. However, I usually do not have a lot of luck with bread rising.

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    That is a fine looking loaf. I haven't done whole wheat in a while. I know what's next on my To-do list!

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG! So good! You have to note that you should double the sugar by mistake --- it is amazing!
    Cheers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home