Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Sunday, July 31, 2005

IMBB 17



Is My Blog Burning is an international food blogging event that is held every month. This month it is hosted over at a la cuisine The theme this month is Tea. This was an easy one for me I thought of Bubble Tea at first but I opted for a more traditional entry.

Barm Brack is a traditional Irish Fruit bread, I am 1/4 Irish so it was a dish that worked well for me. For Halloween traditionally, special lucky charms would be added to the Bracks (loaves) for the children, the lucky one receiving the slice containing the charm. Watch your teeth folks!!. For birthdays in my family my mom would put quarters into the slices of cake.

The tea that I used is from my Blogging by mail patron Samantha who got it from adagio.com. Adigio is also giving away free tea to Canadian and US food blogers for more info click here

Barm Brack

The Hardware
Loaf Pan
Large Bowl
Tea Pot
Kettle

The Software
1 C Cold tea (I used Earl Grey)
1 C Raisins
1/2 C Mixed peel
1/2 C Currents
1 C Sugar
1 Large egg
1/4 C Butter
2 C Flour
1 Tsp Baking powder
1/4 Tsp Baking soda
1/4 Tsp Salt

The Application
Combine Tea, Raisins, Peel, Currants, and Sugar in a large bowl. Cover and soak overnight.

Stir in egg and butter to fruit mixture.

Combine the flour, salt, powder, and soda in a small bowl and mix into the fruit mixture. Stir till combine well. Spoon into a loaf pan and bake in a 350 d oven for 60 min or till toothpick comes out clean. Let stand for 10 min before trying to remove from pan.

*note to silicone pan users (I am one of them)* Reduce heat to 325 and bake for an extra 20 min.

"Make honest food from honest ingredients" -Rick Kirby

1 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Good looking loaf! And I didn't know that the Irish had a tradition to hide charms in loaves like these. It seems to be a common cross cultural thing to do with cakes at holidays.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home