Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Taste Canada




This is my dish for Taste Canada It is held every year on The Domestic Goddess Blog and I thought me being Canadian Hey why not Eh?

The feature here is supposed to be the Perogies, Nothing says Canada, Family, Comfort, and Love like this food for the Ninja's soul. Several Interesting things happend while creating this dish Please see below for the details on that. I am of mixed decent 3 I think Polish, Ukrainian, and Irish.. at every family meal Perogies have to be there, since I am hosting the first Christmas dinner out side of a parent or grandparent this year, I thought this would be a good time to practice my Perogy skilz. (The sausage comes from Baba... Once she figures out what the internet is I'm sure she will start a food Blog)

The Harware
Knife
Large Stock Pot(Pressure Cooker) *1
Several Bowls,
4in wide glass

The Software
10 lb potatoes *2
8 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 tbsp salt
3 cups hot water
2 lb old cheddar cheese, grated
3 cups onions, sauteed in butter until clear
1lb Bacon Cooked and cut into small Bits.
1 lb butter
salt and pepper to taste

The Application
Filling:
Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain them well (saving the water for the dough) and mash. Add the cheese, bacon, and onions while it's still hot and keep mashing until it's smooth and lump free. Add enough butter and seasoning to reach a Creamy Consistancy.Let the filling cool.

Dough:
Beat the egg and mix in oil, salt, and hot water from the potatoes. Make a well *3 in the flour and pour in the liquid. Work the egg mixture into the flour with your hands and knead the dough until it's really smooth and not sticky.

Cooking:
There are several ways people cook these when they are hungry for perogies. Some people prefer to boil them in a pot of water with a pinch of salt until they are nice and tender and then smother them in sour cream, or fried onions and butter, or bacon bits, mushroom gravy, etc... Others prefer to just fry them up in a frying pan with the butter and onions. Most often perogies are served up with a side of cabbage rolls and some nice sausage, but they go well with just about anything.

Ninja Tips (Only can be read by Clicking and Draging to highlight next to the area of *)

*1 Did you know that when releasing the steam valve on a preasure cooker it can blow a hole clean through a dish towel.. I didn't, till last night, Moral of the story Never forget patience when working with a pressure cooker. I use one all the time and the one time I get rushed I learn about the physics of dish towels.
*2 A note on Yeild This is the first time I have ever made perogies, this recipies yeilds at my best guess 12 - dozens, I am guessing cause I have a gross in my freezer now and about 8 lbs of filling left.. I think I will have enough for christmas dinner.
*3 Do the dough on a table!!! I did it on a counter and I was lucky that it didnt flow onto the floor. I have never attempted anything of this scale. It can be a massive undertaking. umm 8c flour 3c water ya sure I can fit 11 cups of warm runny dough on my counter... NOT!

Ninja Rated 5 Throwing Stars

Just a note I wana give it up to my gurl for posting this recipie on her blog for a friend a few months back, that way I just copied and pasted... Although Ninja was the only one brave enough to make it..!

I will be bumping this post up later in the month.. FYI

-end post

3 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    Well Templar, I like perogies too. I've never made them, only bought the frozen ones. They are not too bad.

    I am tempted to try my hand at making them, but I'm sure going to make about 1/4 of the recipe only.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    I adore perogies but have never had the nerve to try making my own. Like Ana, I've always bought the frozen ones.

    We have made fresh egg pasta though and I'm guessing that we could knead perogie dough in our hand-crank pasta maker.

    Now I'm really looking forward to cooler weather so I can try these out! (I like perogies fried til golden in olive oil and smothered with caramelized onions, yoghurt and steamed broccoli)

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    So you think the pasta machine would work then, Templar? (Thanks for dropping by my site)

    -Elizabeth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home