Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Rice Pud'n



I love rice. I recall moving one time and getting my brother to help me, and his words were as he packed the kitchen "You have enough rice and noodles to feed the Chinese army" That may be true cause every time I see a flashy package in the grocery store I can not resist.

Rice pudding is something new for me, I love bloging b/c it forces me to think out side the normal meal box. So here we go...

Rice Pudding

The Hardware
Wisk
Cassarole dish
Large deep pan or bigger cassarole dish
Sauce pan

The Software
3 Slightly beaten eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c brown sugar
2 cups scalded milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp vinnamon
1 c cooked Rice
1/2 C raisins

The Application
In a cassarole dish combine eggs, salt, and Sugar. Temper in scalded milk, wisking constantly. Add vanilla, rice and raisins. Stir. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and place whole dish into another pan to create a water bath, add hot water to the outside pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 min or till knive comes out clean.

You need the determination to go on — even after you’ve scorched the first batch of stew, burned the sauce, mutilated the fish filet and lopped off a hunk of fingertip. -Anthony Bourdain

4 Comments:

  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger FoodNinja said…

    I could have been if I took the blow torch to it,,if I had a blow torch,, but it is just baked cinnimon..

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Dawna said…

    Oh, yikes! Now I have a rice-pudding craving! Have you ever tried using coconut milk for some of the liquid? I made a pretty darn good coconut rose rice pudding, with coconut milk and rose flower water (worked well for dessert for a Thai dinner).

    Love the Bourdain quote - but it makes me wonder what went wrong while you were making the pud'n...

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    This looks great. I like the fact that you baked it to give it that crunch looking top instead of just cooking it on the stove.

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said…

    I love the photos and your
    "Hardware", "Software", "Application" - unique, true and very, very cool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home