Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Full Meal Deal


soup

Fiddlehead Soup With Beef stir fry on rice and a side of Glazed Carrots

Soup!

Software
1lb Fiddleheads
2c Chicken Stock
2c Milk
2tsp butter
2tsp curry powder or paste (Paste will be hotter)


Hardware
Blender
Slotted spoon
Sauce pan


Application
Cook fiddleheads in broth w/curry/butter for 15 min remove with slotted spoon and wiz in blender then add the stock from the pot and puree return to pot. Add milk heat till hot and searve. -to be bad add 33% cream instead of milk-

Ninja Rated 5 THROWING STARS

Beef Stir Fry

Software
1lb steak (I used Left over steak cooked on bbq)
1/4 cup KIKOMAN Soy sauce (My fave fish head)
1tbsp water
2tsp corn starch
2 clove garlic
1tbsp seasme oil (any oil will do but this stuff Rocks)
1 Lg Green pepper
2 Lg tomatoes wedged.
pepper to taste

Hardware
Sharp knife
Wok or skillet ( I cook most everything in a wok)

Application
Slice beef thin against the grain, Peal and mince garlic, in a bowl combine KIKOMAN, water, garlic, cornstarch and beef. let mingle for 10 min

In wok heat oil, cook beef till 1/2 as done as you want it(i did 2 min) then add cubed green pepper and tomatoes cook till peppers are soft.

is best when searved over rice.

Ninja Rated
3.5 THROWING STARS

Honey Glazed Carrots

Software
1lb Carrot
1tbsp honey
1tbsp orange juice
2tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp Orange zest


Hardware
Sharp Knife
Sauce Pan
Box Grater

Application
Cut carrots into 1 inch chunks and boil/steam (whatever you like, I steam) when tender, drain and return to pot. reduce to low heat and add honey, OJ, Butter, ginger, Orange zest ( to zest an orange you rub orange on the fine grate side of box grater)

Ninja Rated 3.5 THROWING STARS

--------------------------------------
This is one of the best meals I have had in a long time. I would have paid $35-40 per plate for this meal at a resturant and it cost me all of 10-15 at home for two people.. Plus I love to get some use of old fish head :P

The cook book is called Dietitians of Canada "Cook Great Food" the food rocks there is a recipe for every ingredient in it... big thanks to my gurl for picking it out for me... she knows me and She knows what she likes to eat :D and I am happy to cook it..

I am gona end this post with a Quote from an interview with Tony Bourdain he is Ass kicking chef that would kick Chef's (BBC) Ass

Q: Was there also something about the instant benefit of hard labor?

A:I think when you work with your hands, when success and failure are quantifiable, there's no debating, how am I doing? You know exactly how well you did on a given day. It's easy to tell. That was a great comfort to me.


-end post

2 Comments:

  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger FoodNinja said…

    Say You
    Say Me

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm new here so please forgive me ... these meals? Are they cooked by you? How 'unordinary' for lack of a better term and how exciting! I love food but very seldom will venture away from the usual cassarole or meat and potatoes!

    Love your site!

    Kim
    Bacon and Ehs

     

Post a Comment

<< Home