Day in the life of a Food Ninja

A burnt out late 20's something guy tries to get back to normality

Saturday, June 25, 2005

IMBB 16



DIM SUM CUSTARD BUNNS

When I heard that this months IMBB event was eggs I was at a loss.. As I usually am when the announce the theme, I am so glad that Seattle Bon Vivant gave me enough time to wrap my head around this topic and come up with Dim Sum, I love dim sum it is the Chinese equivalent to fast food, (please correct me if I am wrong on that) and one of my favs is the custard bun we eat it as a dessert bun. I had lots of fun making this and even more fun sharing it with my Gurl.

The Filling

The Hardware
4 Ramicans
Wisk
Bowl
Deep Pan

The Software
1 egg
3 egg yolk
1/4 cup superfine or granulated sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup 18 percent cream
1/2 tsp vanilla

The Application
whisk together eggs, egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Whisk in milk, cream and vanilla. Pour into ramicans and place ito a deep pan and fill 1/3 the way up with water. Bake in a 400 degree oven for aprox 35 min and tip of knife inserted into custard comes out clean

The Bun

The Hardware
Bowl
Bamboo steamers
Sheet of parchment

The Software
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (DO NOT use instant)
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour, (approximately)
1 tsp baking powder

The Application
In large bowl, dissolve sugar in water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Stir in salt. Mix in enough of the flour to make soft ragged dough. Turn out onto floured work surface. Knead, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary, until smooth, elastic and no longer sticky to the touch, about 8 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over; cover and let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 3 hours.

Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with baking powder. Knead into ball, incorporating baking powder completely, about 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Roll out dough into 16-inch log. Slice into 16 pieces; roll or press each into 3-inch circle. Spoon scant 2 tbsp filling onto centre of each circle. Gather dough together around filling, stretching slightly if necessary, to form pouch; twist to seal top.

Cut sixteen 3-inch squares of parchment paper. Place each bun, sealed side up, on square of paper. Arrange in steamer trays, about 2 inches apart. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.

Bring water to boil in steamer or wok. Cover and steam, 2 trays at a time, for 5 minutes. Reverse trays and steam until puffed and dry to the touch, about 5 minutes.

Searve Hot.. The above recipe was a collage of a few dim sum recipe's I found to make the one I wanted..

-end post

3 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Wow. Those look great! Excellent choice for an IMBB entry.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Ana said…

    I love Dim Sum and my very favourite is the sesame seed balls which I also eat as dessert.

    I made them once, long time ago. Must still have the recipe somewhere.

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Joycelyn said…

    cool, what an excellent idea! would have never occurred to me to make custard buns...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home